Friday, April 1, 2011

Kiki's Delivery Service

Apes Pick: Kiki's Delivery Service

Kiki's Delivery Service: Special Edition - 2-Disc DVD

Why I Picked this Film: When Beeps says I've been on an Anime kick he means it! I don't really know what happened, but I'm in love with Studio Ghibli. Now I'm on a mission to watch all of the Ghibli films! So for that reason I picked KiKi's Delivery Service.

Beeps:  I have seen this film before, but as I sat here and watched this, I couldn't help but question if I had or not.  I literally spent half the movie wondering if I had seen it, and after watching it again, I know why I had selective amnesia.  The movie suffers from a lack of caring,  there really isn't much about the film that makes me want to care about it.  I can deal with a movie that lacks excitement if the movie is cute such as (My Neighbor Totoro) or if the movie is thought provoking in some other way.  This film isn't all that cute, although it tries, and really isn't thought provoking at all.  Do yourself a favor and watch some of Miyazaki's other movies first, and if you're a hardcore fan then throw this turd into your DVD player.  1 and 1/2 stars! 


Apes: I'm really glad this wasn't my first Studio Ghibli film or I probably wouldn't be as addicted as I am. The idea behind all of Miyazaki's films is similar, but this one some how falls short. The stories are generally coming of age tales of young women who have to rely on a friend or mentor while they find their inner strength. This film however, is a let down. Its long winded, has needless characters, no real climax, and while you do care about the characters you don't really feel as though the main character Kiki has learned anything through her time alone. Plus, What a crappy witch if all she can do is fly - and how is she supposed to learn in her year away from home if she isn't around other witches? I just don't get it. I feel like there are HUGE plot holes and cohesion issues. I give it 2 stars and that is just for the amazing animation and feel of the art!

Overall we give this movie 2 stars

~Beeps and Apes

4 comments:

  1. 2 stars? that's ridiculous! I love Kiki!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear this review, I'm also a big fan of Studio Ghibli, I guess I give this a pass

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I'll look into this movie then, if it's only 2 stars.

    Anyways, good luck on the blog, following

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, this is certainly the weakest of his films.

    ReplyDelete