Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Princess Mononoke

Beeps Pick: Princess Mononoke

Princess Mononoke

Why I picked this film:  Another day, another Studio Ghibli film.  I picked this one because Apes has gotten so into Miyazaki's films, I wanted to share with her, the first one that I had the pleasure of watching. 

Beeps:  As I mentioned above, this was the first Miyazaki film that I watched, and for that, it will always hold a very special place in my heart.  Unlike the majority of his other films, I would classify this as not for children, as it is quite graphic at times.  The movie starts off with a bang, as our young hero, Ashitaka shows his bravery as he does battle with a foul beast attacking his village.  There isn't much time in the beginning to develop a bond with the characters, that happens later in the film.  This is okay, it's just a little different.  I think the movie suffers a bit from its length, it runs 2 hours and 14 minutes, but could probably be clipped at around 2 hours, as the ending just seems to drag on forever.  It's not a bad movie though, and if you're looking for an animated movie that tells an epic story that's not futuristic, give this one a try, you'll probably like it.  4 Stars!


Apes:  As I'm sure its GLARINGLY obvious by now I really do LOVE Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli. What they do with anime is truly art. However, I wasn't a die hard fan of this one. The story is very hug a tree, save the forest, and talking animals. Anyone who knows much about me knows I HATE talking animals. I'm not really sure why. Its probably some irrational childhood fear or some other deep seated issue. As always the art and animation are amazing, but its a little too drawn out and a little too we love nature for me. This definitely isn't a kids movie some of the graphics are gross and there is lots of blood and death. I'd watch it again and give it another shot but for now I give it 3 stars. (but seriously watch Totoro!)

Overall we give this film 3 1/2 Stars.

~Beeps and Apes

No comments:

Post a Comment