Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Mission Impossible 2

Beeps Pick:  Mission Impossible II



Why we picked this film: We watched the first one so we might as well finish them all. Plus I really want to go see the new one in the theater.

Beeps:  Man, this film is almost too John Woo for being a John Woo directed film.  This film reeks of his stink all over it.  Here are some of my problems.  1.  Apparently after the events in the first film, Tom Cruise went to the Jackie Chan school of fighting.  I've never seen anyone leave their feet so many times during a fight.  It's almost to the point that it's ludicrous.  There is so much wire work and flipping kicks that it really brings things down.  If there was maybe one or two flip kicks I'd be cool with it, but there's about 15, and well I don't want to see Tom Cruise do that because it just feels cheap.  2.  Slow motion.  Holy crap, I like slow motion for some action scenes, but it does not have to be in every action scene multiple times.  I bet this film would be 20 minutes shorter if they ran everything at full speed.  3.  Overuse of masked characters... Okay it was cool when we got to see it in the first one.  I felt like it was a crutch here.  It was pretty easy to spot when someone was not who they were pretending to be, and that's unfortunate because it makes the film fall victim to predictability.  All of the negatives aside, this is a decent popcorn flick.  Turn your mind off and enjoy the ride.  However, not even the absolutely radiant Thandie Newton can elevate this movie to the status of the first.  2 1/2 Stars!

Apes: I'm not sure what to say. I almost fell a sleep during this one. Its a lot slower (and full of slow motion), less interesting, and more of a love story than an action flick. The first 45 min to an hour are slow and dragging. Then the last 30 to 45 min are so action filled its a bit over the top. I'm not a huge fan of the fight scenes in this, they have too much slow motion. This movie felt like they were going for more of a James Bond feel with the love story and romance instead of the kicking ass and taking names feel of the first one. I was not a huge fan of this one, but I'm sure we will keep it because you have to have the full series right? I give it 2 stars - for good acting and a decent story. (Oh and bonus points for Tom Cruise rockin' the Bieber hair before the Bieber hair was cool)

Overall we give this film 2 1/2 Stars!

~Beeps and Apes

No comments:

Post a Comment