Thursday, December 1, 2011

Castle In The Sky

Apes Pick: Castle in the Sky

Castle in the Sky

Why I Picked this Movie: So Beeps broke me into the anime world with Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind and from that point on I've been trying to get him to watch more anime with me. Especially the Studio Ghibli films. So I checked this one out from the local library and forced him to watch it! :)

Beeps:  I like this film.  Maybe it's the goofy way that James Van Der Beek sounds as the main character, but he sounds as if he was the right choice for the role.  I know that anime elitists are rolling their eyes right now... I can hear them saying to themselves, "I can't believe you didn't watch the film in its native language..."  Well believe it dorks.  The movie is a good mix in that it has some elements that are quite cute and some elements that are very exciting.  The typical Miyazaki film follows one of the two paths, but this one treads a line between them both and it really works for me.  4 Stars!

Apes: I don't think this is my favorite anime this far, but I did really enjoy it. I mean whats not to love about flying pirates, escaping the government, magical powers, and finding a mythical floating city? Actually now that I list all that out maybe it is my favorite anime. The characters are great! Some are always sweet and lovable while others are a bit rough around the edges, but they too some how grow on you. Most of the studio Ghibli films this is a coming of age story with love, adventure, and danger all while a young girl finds out about her families past and her heritage. I give this movie 4 stars for animation, character development, story line, adventure, and most importantly flying PIRATES! :)

Overall we give this movie 4 Stars

~Beeps and Apes

2 comments: