Sunday, July 11, 2010

Alice in Wonderland

Apes Pick: Alice in Wonderland

Alice in Wonderland

Why I picked this film: It was in the DVD player already and I'm tired. Plus it was on my list of movies to watch. So yeah I picked this film because I'm lazy! My nieces were watching it last night and left it in the DVD player so I figured heck its a sign from the MOVIE GODS! Also this has been on a continuous loop at Sam's Club and I've been wanting to see it.

Beeps:  Well, it's certainly a Depp/Burton collaboration.  I have a difficult time enjoying a movie in which the ending has been pre-ordained.  I found Johnny Depp to be a bit over the top in his performance as the mad hatter, who in my opinion was a little too mad.  I also found this movie to be a bit slow moving.  I felt like the movie, which takes 108 minutes to spill out, could have been completed in a hair over 60 minutes.  I wouldn't be doing this movie any favors if I didn't at least mention the visuals, which were absolutely stunning.  It's easy to see why this has been on a continuous loop in stores.  The look of the film was truly the highlight.  2 1/2 stars.

Apes: For a weird eccentric Burton film it was sub par compared to his others. Depp was a needless "star power" pick for the role and could have been performed by a better actor and been much more effective. At times Depp's speech was unintelligible and quite frankly not worth rewinding to hear. Alice was played well, but almost a bit to spaced out for my tastes. I must agree with Beeps and his review of the visuals. They are stunning. The colors contrast and add visual drama to the film. I think this film is worth watching, but now that its over I wouldn't watch it again. I give this film 2 1/2 stars.

Overall we give this film 2 1/2 stars.

~Beeps and Apes

No comments:

Post a Comment