Saturday, July 10, 2010

Shaun of the Dead

 Random Pick: Shaun of the Dead

Shaun of the Dead

Why we picked this movie: Our nieces were over here spending the night and wanted to watch a comedy, but like 13 and 14 year old girls didn't want something old "you know like the 80's", something they had seen, or stupid. So Beeps picked Shaun of the Dead... I'm not sure this is exactly what they had in mind! :)

Beeps:  I believe this was my third time watching this film.  I liked it well enough, although it was a bit slower than I remember.  I'm finding that through doing this blog, I tend to overstate the greatness of movies that I had seen in the past in my head, so that when I re-watch them, they never exactly live up to the perfection that I had set up in my mind.  All of that aside, the movie itself is likable enough with Simon Pegg as the title character, a lovable loser trying to get his life sorted out in the midst of a zombie apocalypse.  Good stuff there.  The movie has a rather slow pacing, and it's funny, it's just not a laugh out loud type of funny.  If you've never seen this, I recommend it wholeheartedly.  3 stars. 

Apes: Okay, confession... I REALLY like this movie the British humor, sarcasm, and hilarious comparison to the lives we lead in our JOBS to mindless zombies just strikes me as funny! I'm actually the one who got Beeps to watch this the first time. However, the hilarious parallels to human behavior are COMPLETELY lost on 13 year old girls. I love this film for the aforementioned reasons. I also think Simon Pegg is great. If you aren't a fan of slow British humor this probably isn't the film for you. Although if you like "spoof" movies I think you'll enjoy this film. I give this film 3 stars because its lost some of its humor in the 4 or so viewings and the look of pure boredom and torture on my nieces faces! If you choose to watch this film be warned it isn't laugh out loud funny more of a subtle and refined funny.

Quote from my niece: "Just got done waching the dumbest movie ever!" - We left the typo in there for added effect :)

Overall we give this film 3 stars.

~Beeps and Apes

No comments:

Post a Comment