Thursday, July 22, 2010

Russell Brand - Doing Life Live

Apes Pick: Russell Brand - Doing Life Live

Russell Brand - Doing Life Live (PAL/Region 4)

Why I picked this movie: I am in the mood for a comedy special and have seen his NYC special and remember it being funny. Plus I saw his book at Books-A-Million and I figured what the heck lets give it a shot.

Beeps: Russell Brand is definitely a unique dude.  This DVD is not very accessible to those of us living in the United States, and that's probably a good thing.  Most of this is quite funny, parts of it however are down right boring.  It helps to have some knowledge of British slang.  (Took me a minute to understand what a "Chip and Pin" card was.)  All of this being said, I enjoyed this.  There were more than enough laugh out loud moments to make this a worthy addition to a collection.  I would recommend his NYC special to get acquainted with him, as he is difficult to understand at times, as his accent is even heavier in this special, taped while performing in his native England.  3 stars.

Apes: Unlike his NY special his special in Britain sounds far more "British" the accent is almost more that I can decipher and I've spent lots of times talking to Brits. There are moments in this special that are LOL funny and other that are hard to understand, bland, and a bit of a bore. I think he is a VERY interesting man and his comedy is very funny. However, for my American friends I recommend Russel Brand in New York City I think you will find it funnier and MUCH more easily understood. I give this special 2 stars.

Overall we give this movie 2 1/2 stars.

~Beeps and Apes

No comments:

Post a Comment